5b4

Friday, August 12, 2005

Thanks for a pleasant evening
And the money

My dad and I went to a ritzy country club today to receive a $1,000 Sav-A-Center scholarship. I got the award last year, and by working at the store again this summer, was eligible to re-apply. Praise God! $1,000 goes quickly, i.e. a year's books.

2 hours of sitting at a table in a chandelier-laced room revealed pleasant and quite interesting people at our table. Aspiring lawyers, store managers, and a lady who told her whole life story in the 4 hours we were together at the table, everything from her scuba diving to selling Mary Kay. I guess I didn't fool anyone with my green suit; I'm not meant to be part of high-class society. I conversed most with the woman to my left who was really funny and ran a flooring business. Delicious meal, great jazzy music from a local trio, and hey, getting that scholarship check was not too shabby, either. Oddly enough, the guest speaker had canceled last minute and we ended up hearing from the VP of the Metro Crime Commission. Good speaker, but the worst speech that could have been given at a ceremony. He talked for 45 minutes about the corruption in the New Orleans Police Department, and then the next guy basically got up, coughed, and announced it was time to give out money.

Not only will I miss making money at this store, I will also miss the people. I will miss trying to stay awake Saturday mornings, talking to Sable and Mrs. Maria about the crazy customers. For example, the old woman who dug out of the salad bar. She consistently digs out lettuce from the bar and eats it, after being warned many times by store managers not to. She also one time complained, "You know what I just did?! Because there's no water fountain in this store, I was just FORCED to eat the icicles out of the freezer case!" She also grabbed the bookkeeper one time and started raving about the coffee machine being broken and saying something like, "Hey, these donut samples I'm eating, do you want to charge me for these also just like that free salad sample over there, or what! Hmph."

Reminds me of the woman in the local papers recently who drove through the front of a gas station. She said, "I was driving to the front to inquire about a receipt, and while gradually applying pressure to the brake, suddenly lurched forward, launching the car through the front of the store."

44f ;