5b4

Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Brave New World

Here I am at Louisiana State University in Rm. 119 of West Laville Hall.

It has been quite a day. let me briefly summarize this day of change. :)

Left at 8:45, got @ LSU about 2 hours later. Move-in traffic was unbelievably bad. We were in bumper-to-bumper for about 20 minutes before my a few of us got out the van and started walking to the Pete Maravich Assembly Center for registration. I made a deposit of Tiger Cash into my "Tiger Account." (LSU=Tigers, and the account is a debit type account for use on campus. You can swipe your card all over campus to make purchases...everything from Coke machines to copy machines to the bookstore. I also got my room and key and talked to people to get some info...

Then went and saw our mascot, who was in a cage. Mike the Tiger surely wasn't roaring today. In the hot sunlight, he was sleeping. He must've had a nightmare, as he threw his hands around in his sleep once, lifted up his head to look at us, then decided to return to his dreamworld.

After that began the laborious task of unloading our overpacked van. A zillion boxes, a fridge, a microwave and a hodgepodge of other stuff including my computer gear. The funniest moment of the move-in was by far me going into the wrong hall at first. And the floor was all girls...which I didn't realize at first. I go further and further with my hand truck and realize all I'm seeing is "Kristy, Suzy, Gertrude"...etc. And so I had a good laugh at myself after the response from a girl I asked, "what hall am I in?"

We were able to rearrange the room furniture, which was nice. My roomate showed up much later...Thomas...he's really cool, a senior majoring in Animal Science...this is his last semester. He's been really helpful. We just chatted for a while...now I'm blogging...

I've got a desk, a little bookshelf, closet with hanging clothes space, and of course a bed. I know that for a dorm it isn't anything special...but it could be much worse.

After that...a brief meeting with my student group for the next few days.

Then...finish unpacking...eat out at Ruby Tuesday's...said goodbyes...dad had a harder time than mom did. It was the strangest thing ever walking back into West Laville on my own. It's a brave new world ya know.

I then went back and managed by literal divine intervention to get my Ethernet internet to work...and I'll tell you. It's making dial-up look like child's play. :-D

Then a meeting with our RA..."don't be a bad boy in the dorm or you'll be in trouble basically." then a free ice-cream deal. Chatted with a couple random people. I can tell I'm going to meet a lot of people and become a much more social person here. Which is great.

Well that's enough for now. It's not too bad. After all, once I've had a week of class under my belt...I think I'll be loving it. Right now it just feels really awkward. My main prayer is that my relationship with Jesus not suffer...but rather...thrive like never before.

See ya...

44f ;