5b4

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

B-b-boldness

All Solomon said was to meet him tonight for "witnessing" aat 5 p.m. So I met him at 5 p.m. in front of the student union, unsure, and quite nervous, of what we were about to do.

He and I walked to the Quadrangle (http://webcam.lsu.edu/quadcam/index.html) and I watched him approach a passer-by and evangelize the first person.

He then informs me it's my turn. I mumble something like, "I'm nervous!...I've never done anything like this before!" I said it with a nervous laugh, like, okay, just do it, Josh.

So as we meandered around the main meeting place at LSU this evening, I approached the first girl...my ice-breaker was about the "screamers," a group of preachers who sometimes preach in free speech alley. It seems that XA-ans don't believe there method is from God...I'd like to see for myself before I pass judgment. In any case, we moved on from that topic and I explained we were from Chi Alpha and about Christianity, etc., inviting her to the Gathering.

Once you get past the first person, it's much easier. I approached about 10 other people, I guess, this evening, 7 of which stopped to talk to me.

The ice breaker I used was "Excuse me, do you have a minute (?), we're from Chi Alpha and we're giving a survey today. The question of the day is what are your thoughts about the war in Iraq." After they said their thoughts, I might add friendly comments, whatever, then ask something like, "so with all that's going on in the world, like the war in Iraq, do you think we're in what Jesus called the end-times?" And it went from there. We ran into Christians, hippie-ish people, agnostics...it was great. The main thing I did when I talked to people was let them know that XA was there for them and wanted to show them the love of Jesus...that I know it sure has benefitted me to have eternal peace and joy, etc.......

So, evangelism really isn't all that difficult. You just talk to people and eventually put the one-two Jesus punch in there at the right moment...sometimes it's hard to find the right moment. The main thing I realized (and was convicted of) is that...

...finding that moment and being an effective witness lies within the personal time spent BEFOREHAND, developing one's relationship with the Holy Spirit.

44f ;