5b4

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

The Female Cranium

My mom reminded me recently that a conversation for a woman is not the means to and end. It is the end itself. I sometimes forget this.

I must admit after watching Mel Gibson' What Women Want I worked today and every female that came through the line, I could have sworn from looking at their faces I heard every woman's thought, just like Mel. I wished they would have make the movie less lewd, but I really...laughed a lot! And was awakened to the need for men, i.e. *me*, to be more sensitive to the desires of women to be accepted and to be treated well. Enter Aretha Franklin and R-E-S-P-E-C-T. I've always tried to be generally polite, especially to women, but that didn't always come out of sympathy. Often it was more motivated by a I'll-tip-my-hat Roy Orbison "Oh, Pretty Woman" moment. We men can be jackasses when it comes to respecting all women and loving them for who they are, not just those we find particularly exteriorally pretty. By the grace of God, I am committed to understanding that, yes, women do have brains that do operate like machine gun bullets spraying in many directions, but I need to be patient. And I want to treat every woman like she is a queen.

Chivalry. Some of us still use that word. Oh, I know I'm old-fashioned, so hang it up already.

44f ;