5b4

Sunday, September 10, 2006

The Semester So Far

Alright, alright. I've been putting this off for some time. I'll go ahead and do a real update. I haven't *really* posted since before the fall semester of classes started.

A little over two weeks ago, I moved back into East Laville, the 3-person room. James Campbell and Jean-Francois ("Jeff" -- from Belgium) are my roomates. So far, 3 people in one room is best described as: too much, fun, overall more space efficient, boisterous, a hassle, adventurous, doable, classy. We had lots of start up events with Chi Alpha the week before class started. That's going well, incidentally. Matt Davis and I, who are co-leaders, had our first lifegroup this past Wednesday. It went quite well...I'm really excited about the people God is drawing into Chi Alpha this year. They're all so hungry for the voice of God!

I'm taking the following courses: Econ 2035 (Money, Banking, and Financial Markets), Business Law 3201 (Business Law), Acct 3021 (Intermediate Accounting II), Acct 3121 (Cost Accounting), and Hist 4130 (WWII History). 15 hours of class, all fairly enjoyable so far. The word in my spirit is "balance" this semester: God at the center, lots of devotional time with him, fruitful friendships and social life, lots of exercise, academic excellence, etc. Still working in the Department of ISDS during the week. As non-engaging as ever.

Looking back at my first half of college, now that I'm a junior, the thing I have appreciated most about my time spent at LSU is the investment in friendships. People are so amazing. I have already met several new people that have challenged me so much as a person and whom I have challenged as well. That's what I treasure most: learning so much from other people. The technical information I have learned that will help me in my career is vital, yes, but there is so much else going on. There is a huge moral and psychological and social (all in one!) formation that is going on in our lives. I was talking to my friend Stacy who explained to me a premise that it's not being in college, specifically, that dictates this, but, rather the biological age we are at. One sociological/anthropological research figure did research in an "uncivilized / undeveloped" island and discovered that people around the age of twenty have a certain social need that is inherent, without any sort of educational system. We're at an age where we're making what is, for most of us, the final decision on what we like. The kind of people we like, school of thought we subscribe to, the kind of people we want to surround ourselves with, the activity we want to spend the rest of our lives doing to earn a living, the person we want to marry, the values we treasure, et-cetera. This requires constant exchange of ideas both in and out of class, with the old and the young. This is why we never sleep. We are constantly feeling the need to associate with other people, to exchange ideas, feelings, affection, anger, information, recreational pursuits, love, concerns, etc. I have never clung to people so tightly in my life. I mean, I have always been an independent person. I have metamorphosed into this person who loves people so much and wants to be around people all the time. Sometimes I am the only voice heard in a room for an hour, I have so much to share. Sometimes, I will sit quietly for 2 hours absorbing the intimate thoughts of a friend. And also, I have never been so needed by people before. I have never been trusted by so many people before. Friends who come to me and bare their hearts, telling me they know I'm trustworthy and asking advice.

I am so weird. My whole life I have felt like I know what it's like to see Josh Clayton in operation. It's like I'm always sitting there watching myself, watching my every move, being like, "Why is that Josh Clayton guy doing that? What the...who the....is he crazy? Wow, that's a terrible idea! That, on the other hand, is really smooth!" I watch myself advising other people. I watched myself fall in love with Amanda. I watch myself sit quietly during a lecture trying to absorb the passion a professor has for his lecture material. I watch myself in a group at a table at dinner trying to let everyone know exactly what I mean, explaining it over and over again, to make sure the language is coherent enough to paint a vivid picture of exactly what Josh is seeing. I think it is an over self-awareness. In any case, it's a wild ride.

I have learned the difference between a friend and a companion. I have many companions but few friends. I have companions that I do the most stuff with on a day-to-day basis. I do everything with them. But some of them are not close friends. The close friends are the ones I can bare my soul to. Certain people I just have a certain connection with. For example, my friend Patrick Holly...one I lost to marriage and law school. I hardly ever see him any more, yet whenever I see him, it's like we pick up the last conversation we had ages ago. Because that friendship level is that close. That is one thing I treasure about the romantic relationship I'm in. It's been romantic, yes,...but it's been more like a best friendship, especially since it's been long distance for so long. But that makes me happy knowing that I started out focused on what's important: the friendship element. It makes me realize how easy and appreciated the companionship aspect will be once I get married. Maybe that's what seems so weird and yet normal to me at the same time about my friends' dating relationships. Their romantic relationships are more companionship-oriented. They're not as desperate for each other and for each other's friendship, because they can be in each other's presence constantly.

Okay, so this post hasn't really been about the semester so far, so much, as the thoughts I've been having today. If only I wrote down the thoughts I had every day, this blog would be so much better, but I just don't have time to post my daily thoughts.

I found a picture from the vaulted archives that I figured I'd post right quick before anyone else can object...

44f ;