5b4

Friday, August 29, 2008

Don't Beg For My Question. You Can't Have It.

I, too, have been guilty!

Of what?

Of misunderstanding the phrase "beg the question." I would always hear the media and layperson on the street make such statements as, "It begs the question, 'Why do the Japanese disguise themselves as vending machines to escape would-be assailants?' " I wondered if that was correct, but accepted it as face value.

After hearing Professor Torts use the phrase in a negative light more than once (i.e., "Don't tell me that Mr. X, that's not a logical answer, it only begs the question!"), I decided to dig deeper.

Begging the question is a logical fallacy that asserts something is true just because it is. For example, "You can't deny that Yoplait Original Red Raspberry 99% Fat Free Yogurt is the tastiest yogurt because it's the best."

In other words, please don't beg for questions. Beg for answers. If you are hereafter told that someone or something begs the question, don't give in and agree that questions are pursued by beggardly entities.

I beg of you, if you have any questions about this post, please see the related links below.


Japanese Dress as Vending Machines to Ward Off Criminals

Begging for Actual Questions?

44f ;