5b4

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Oh, Silly Me



Sunday night I resumed an ancient tradition, that of the all-nighter. I had to finish a paper on St. Augustine's Confessions and write and learn an informative speech on music media. I was up all night, catching a 30-minute snooze before class, with a 2-hour nap in the evening, only to be up again most of the night Monday.
Only Monday the reason was not studiousness. I brought Boethius' Consolation of Philosophy into the East Laville Lobby. I had noticed these guys had a vintage NES gaming system and were playing The Best Video Game of All Time. I thought, "well, I'll just read my book off and on while I watch these guys play." But then I started talking to them, and they were getting closer and closer to beating the game, when a dude left a vacant spot, I grabbed the controller and played the last few levels. I now had a choice. I could go be a wuss and listen to Boethius complain about society or save the world and PLAY THROUGH ALL OF SUPER MARIO 3, which I never had done before. I mean, heck, I'd warped to World 8 and beaten King Koopa Stoopid, but I'd never gone all the way through. So from 12 midnight till almost 5 a.m., that is what I did. Different people passed through and took the role of player 2, but I remained, till the last lonely World 8. I kicked butt ... and Bowser. Unfortunately, no one else was in the lobby at 5 a.m. to share in my triumph. I promptly returned to the Consolation of Philosophy with a bit of an "ahem" attitude, to get 2 more hours of sleep. Okay, so I'll finally sleep tonight and it shall be sweet. But if you guys get the chance to play vintage Nintendo with friends, I daresay philosophising can wait.

44f ;