5b4

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The Inevitable

It finally happened. I didn't know what the clash would be about, but I knew it would be. It was inevitable, though I was surprised it happened so suddenly and is especially ironic, if you read my last blog post. The humanity-wide once-in-a-lifetime phenomenon of having that talk with one's parents that makes one wonder, literally, "Where do I go from here?"

When I got back from the trip in the aforementioned blog post late at night, I noticed several CDs in my collection missing. "That's funny," I thought. "I don't think my parents listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd or Jimi Hendrix." Before I left for work the next day, Mom and I talked about her and Dad's "concerns" about some music they'd "found." I quietly worked my cashier shift and headed home, to be told Mom and Dad wanted to take me for a drive and "have coffee." I was immediately concerned about such a proposition, because my parents have never suggested going to talk over coffee, ever, in my life.

Sipping an iced mocha, I listened to my parents describe the drug habits and improper lyrical content of these bands, and the "liberal" philosophy of the other secular music I have. I've always known my parents are opposed to secular music, but as with many other things, we've always agreed to disagree. But tonight, after I politely but firmly explained my stance on this issue at length, the sentence proceeded from Dad's mouth:

While I am at college, I am outside of their control. But while I am at home, they are responsible for me and what they allow into their house. My secular music cannot remain in their household. I am exhibiting a worldly attitude through listening to worldly music, my hair is too long, I stay up too late at night, I haven't cleaned my car enough, and I have become generally lax. When asked, I regrettedly confessed my devotional life has been lacking when I don't make time for it when I get home from work. After chewing my upper lip for some time, I stated that I did not expect him to back down from his stance, but by the same token nor can I from mine.

In terminus, I'm distraught, you're distraught.

44f ;