5b4

Sunday, July 24, 2005

My Thoughts on "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"

My friend John Collins and I went to see it last night. It was about what I expected. Overall, I like the original version of the Wonka tale better. I found, however, a few things to be improved in the new release.

I like Gene Wilder in the role overall a little better. Too me, he has more of a charisma about his eccentricity. Johnny Depp's talent as an actor is highly apparent in the new film, but there's nothing likable about his weirdness. He's repulsively weird. Of course, that's a viable interpreatation of Willy Wonka, I think. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory will be adored by many and possibly spurned by a similar percentage of the viewing population. It's all in the viewer's expectation about how the Wonka character should be presented.

I haven't read the Roald Dahl book, but perhaps the Depp version of Wonka is more viable and correct. He is quite a bit quirkier. He's no Gene Wilder walking out of his palace of sorts, fake-tripping over a cane, and then recovering to a round of applause. Depp is the cryptic "he" behind barred doors yelling over loudspeakers for the children to enter the chocolate factory. Depp is the reclusive Willy Wonka, a societal outcast. I particularly liked the inclusion of the story of Wonka's upbringing, explaining his "outcast" status with the rest of society, his quirkiness, and his oddly likeable inability to say the word "parent(s)".

The visuals of the new film are highly likeable and are a feast for the eyes, but no more than in the original film. The special effects add a lot to the new film, effects unavailable for the 70's version. But of course, that's what made the 70's version such a wonderland...marvelously detailed actual sets.

I was surprised at how much the acting is, at times, better than in the original. This is especially noticeable when one compares the beginning of the film in both movies. The new version is MUCH better. The emotional buildup is greater through superb acting and the audience was nervously still: we all were on edge, who would be the next to get a golden ticket!? So props to Charlie for a much improved build-up. However, the actual chocolate factory, I think, is better in the original film.

Another thing I liked about the new film is that is shows the ending plight of the misfortunate brats who ended up falling down the factory's treacherous chutes and booby-traps. I won't spoil it, but the end of the movie is not as "happily-ever-after" as the old movie, which I found to be very good. Great ending.

The only thing that was God-awful were the Oompa-loompa. In my humble opinion, the songs this go-round are terrible. Also, one actor plays the part for all the Oompa-loompa. Seeing 15 dozen of them dancing around and all having the same face is definitely weird. I know the film is supposed to be weird, but an Oompa-loompus (if that's the singular form) is weird enough on his own.

Anyhow, my overall opinion is: Go see it. You may or may not like it. It's definitely got its flaws, but Johnny Depp has enough us his sleeve to keep you often-times quite delighted at the spectacle that is this timeless tale.

-Bean

44f ;