5b4

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Christ the King Passion Play

Several friends of mine were in Christ the King's Passion Play this evening, so I went and viewed the performance. Even if I didn't have any friends in it, I would have gone. My memory of last year's performance spurred me on...

There were many things I greatly revered about the (specifically) Catholic production of this story central to my spiritual existence. The delicate and somber handling of the play made the story beautiful. It was good to see such a play put on by college students, as well. They used formal Biblical language, yet there was a vibrancy and immediacy that college-aged people harbor--at our age, the world is a fun place to live in. It's bright and beautiful enough to make us eager to leave our mark in it, yet it's also becoming convincingly more dishearteningly immoral and gloomy, causing us to display heartfelt emotion and concern about what goes on around us. The costumes, the set, the acting, the lighting...all masterfully worked. Specifically, I enjoyed the music. The beautiful "Via Dolorosa" which I remember my mother listening to via the Sandi Patti version when I was younger struck a personal chord. The constant soft minor-key piano in the background throughout the narration and dialogue was effective in creating a contemplative mood. At 45 minutes, the tempo of the play was nigh perfect. The action was symbolically slow, as expected, but never strained. This allowed for me to really take in the emotional effects of what I was seeing before my eyes, as well as meditating upon it and reflecting in my spirit. The only thing I didn't like is that it ends with an "Amen" after Christ's burial. I know it's not Easter Sunday yet, but I'd rather have the whole presentation. Yes, I know Christ was risen, but the human mind is frail and doesn't need to contemplate the Passion without the Resurrection. They go hand in hand. For, as Paul said, if Christ is still dead, then we are all still dead in sin as well.

Several high points:
  • The prayer in Gethsemane was the most long and drawn out, which felt strained at first, till I realized the brilliance of the thing. Time and again, Jesus walks away from his disciples, telling them to watch and pray. He pours out his soul to the Father, and returns to find they are asleep. This happens not once, but THREE TIMES. These are his best friends. His best friends cannot realize the immediacy of what is going on. And if your best friends don't know what's up, you can be sure no one else does. This scene demonstrated the loneliness Christ battled in that garden. He was surrounded by close friends, yet they were distanced in that they were utterly carnal, fleshly, unconcerned about the spiritual reality going on around them. Christ was a spiritual man and was separated, torn even, from his disciples by their sin of sloth and carelessness. Every time Christ would upbraid them for their weariness and walk away to pray again, crescendoing piano would be heard, along with a sweetly yet intensely sung "watch and pray!..." This was such a powerful scene for me. These words still echo to us who follow today: "Watch and pray for His return! The spirit is willing, but the flesh is so woefully weak!"
  • I crucified Christ. Not only is it probable that I would have supported his crucifixion if I had lived on that day, but also I have crucified him with my sin. I perceived this and my soul was heavy. You may know, if you've been to a Passion Play, that tradtionally when Pontius Pilate asks who should be released, the entire audience yells "Barabbas!" and later on "Crucify Him!" repeatedly. Surrounded by the crowd around me yelling to crucify my Savior, I perceived my guilt. A lump in my throat, I thought of how easy it would have been in such a crazed crowd to give in and jump on the bandwagon. Would I have perceived God's master plan of salvation in this frail human being bowed before me? Is there any hope for a race of beings who murderously reject the plan of escape, of salvation, offered by the one who created them? Yes. Even if I had been in that crowd as one of the ones demanding the Savior's death...Christ would have forgiven me of that. And as he stood there besides Barabbas, no doubt He had already forgiven those who wanted Him dead...and would later repent in tears.
  • I wanted to cry as He was forced to carry the cross...I checked my tears. Such pride I harbor. And terrible it was to see the merciless guards beating Him onward, his close friends and own mother drudging onward behind Him. This part of the play was staged very well, with the dismal caravan of confusion and suffering walking through the aisles of the church.
In the words of that great hymnist Isaac Watts:
1. Alas! and did my Savior bleed,
and did my Sovereign die!
Would he devote that sacred head
for sinners such as I?

2. Was it for crimes that I have done,
he groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity! Grace unknown!
And love beyond degree!

3. Well might the sun in darkness hide,
and shut its glories in,
when God, the mighty maker, died
for his own creature's sin.

4. Thus might I hide my blushing face
while his dear cross appears;
dissolve my heart in thankfulness,
and melt mine eyes to tears.

5. But drops of tears can ne'er repay
the debt of love I owe.
Here, Lord, I give myself away;
'tis all that I can do.

("Alas! And Did My Savior Bleed")

44f ;