5b4

Sunday, October 08, 2006

"There's a hole in my leg!"

We university students at Louisiana State had "fall break," a 4-day weekend this past week. It was great visiting family, visiting Amanda, watching movies, playing video games, sleeping, philosophising, driving, reading, riding amusement park rides, having family devotions, etc. But I must recount one adventure to you worthy of remembrance.

New Orleans Chi Alpha was hosting "night games" on Tulane's campus. This included, among other things, Capture the Flag, and Sardines. After 2 rounds of CTF, lo and behold, we're only 2 minutes into Sardines, when my dear friend Zeke Brewer and I dive into some dodgy-looking bushes in search of someone. Zeke is already out of the jungle, when I suddenly drive my leg right into an unyielding object, which causes a cry to come from deep in my throat...OOOOWWWW!

"Are you okaaaay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine...but ...GAH! geez! Jesus help me, that HURT! ...No. Really, I'm fine, let's go."

A minute later I look at my leg as we've continued running down the sidewalk to notice an indentation in my skin. Long story short..."Um, Zeke, I'm not trying to be a wuss, but there's a hole in my leg!" Upon inspection of several people, we decided best to let a doctor patch this one up. Whatever piece of shrubbery/foliage I encountered had impaled an inch-long 1/2-centimeter hole into the area right below my kneecap. You could see a little subcutaneous fat and muscle tissue.

So I wrap the wound and Zeke and I sit down to chat about a friend of ours, waiting for help to arrive. Next thing I know, someone called Tulane Police and the medical people. I was assaulted by questions from an overweight policeman who wanted my ID, three pre-Med chicks were pushing a stretcher into my face and telling me it was a free ride in the ambulance to the hospital. Which hospital did I want to go to? Whichever's closest. Ochsner Clinic.

Someone called Amanda, who had my ID in her purse. I showed it to them and was whisked away by ambulance. Those girls were so funny. They took their job so seriously. Did I have any allergies....was I on drugs...intoxicated...can I get a heart rate...how do you feel...does it burn...? It's really not that bad.

When they wheel me into the ER, I start acting and yelling "I'm dying!" "God, help me!" "It burns!" Before the night is over, the whole floor would know me as the joker.

As Laura Post and Amanda showed up, I put up with doctor after doctor who stopped to kid around. 2 hours later, I had 4-5 stitches and a nice gauze wrap-up.

The great thing is...this was the zenith of my weekend. It was a very amusing experience.

44f ;