5b4

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Cities Preview


What an exciting time to be an Anberlin fan! Their third studio album will be released February 20. The second track on Cities, "Godspeed," is available for download on iTunes, as well as for listening on their Myspace. I have heard clips of that song, "Dismantle.Repair." and "Adelaide" from a couple different places, and I am very, very excited about this album release!

Anberlin's newest artist biography on their label's, Tooth and Nail's, website, includes some very neat and insightful information. Among them are the following revelations:

"For the somewhat unorthodox, ten-minute long "Fin*," for instance..."

"I think a lot of times, it's kind of draining on me that people only have one kind of interpretation. I put a lot of thought into what I do. With our last album, I'd get emails from fans about the song "Symphony of Blasé" and people would say, 'I just broke up with my girlfriend and that song helped me through it.' And I'd be like, 'It wasn't a break up song at all. It was about alcoholism.' I mean, these songs aren't about the basic pop, 'Ooh girl. I love you.' They're much deeper than that."

"As for the band's mission as Christians, Stephen says matter-of-factly, "It's not like we have a huge platform. We're not Coldplay or U2, but I want to touch people's lives. I've got two routes to go. I can either go the sex, drugs, and rock & roll route - which is so temporal - or I can invest in people's lives. When I look back on my life, I want it to have meaning."

That's all good and well, but..."THE SYMPHONY OF BLASE" IS ABOUT ALCOHOLISM?! I'm hurt. I'm the most devoted Anberlin fan you'll find in Baton Rouge, and I had NO CLUE.


click here for full review.

44f ;