5b4

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

The Glorious DAYLIGHT

I was pleased to go to the university post office today and be able to pick up a special package from the wonderful land of Angle-land today. The UK import was none other than Daylight's EP, Double Yellow Lines. (My apologies to Isaac since he was the first to review this CD and I will not do this justice after his review months ago.)

I'm listening to it right now. I must say it's a real pleasure to listen to. Daylight is off to a great start. In just 5 tracks, they manage to display a lot of talent and various styles...and the lyrics are obviously well thought-out...there's a lot of vision behind this band.

The opening track, "Time," is a full throttle rock n' roller with a guitar-smashing repetitive bit and softer moments that creates an awesome song about making time to be with God. The guitar riff in the middle of the song may give you chills...the more I listen to it I feel that this may be the strongest song on the EP. And the album gets off to a great start with plenty of SPEED which is good...vocalist Dan Hames' vocals are just right with the instruments and this song may be the best evidence for that.

The next track, the title track, goes into deeper territory lyrically. It seems to be about running the race, living the life you were meant to live...going straight on a godly course. This is a "softer song" which spacious guitar and dominating drums...with more reflective vocals. This is the song I find myself singing the most.

In the middle is "Don't Be Long," the slowest song, with lots of nice piano. It seems to be a cry for the return of Christ. Pretty guitar in spots. Very pretty.

"Nobody I Know" is a song praising the awesomeness of God. It's got a cool funk vibe to it.

"Turn Around" is Time's rival, to me. "Turn Around" is about hoping to eventually do what we're supposed to do and be who we're supposed to be. It wanders around moderately groovy bits to a quiet chorus to raucous guitar sections.

I recommend you visit http://www.daylight.org.uk to get the whole scoop...you can listen to clips of all the songs, listen to all of "Time," and order it online.

Great job, Daylight!

DAYLIGHT:

Daniel Hames: Vocals and guitar.
Jonno Bright: Bass guitar.
Ed Dampier: Lead guitar.
Joel Bright: Drums & Percussion.

44f ;