5b4

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

The saga continues.

First of all, my apologies to Isaac, who assures me he never gave my cellphone number to anyone.

Upon chatting with someone else (2 people separately affirming this in one day), I realized that there is an online database from which the common public can access my cellphone number yours, and basically....anyone.

The question now is whether or not I actually did speak to Chris Martin or not. I was convinced it was a prank caller. But a re-analysis showed Isaac is not a part of the plot...he would be the only American cellphone link here. Therefore, even if it is not Coldplay's lead singer, it is a British fellow who frequents my blog and decided to have a go at me.

Looking back, all the mystery caller said on the subject of why he called was that a friend "put him up to doing it," but he could not reveal who it was. There a number of fine British folk I have e-communicated with through meeting them on (namely) the delirious message board at www.delirious.org.uk. Feasibly, one of these fine British folk could have called another friend who has......connections to Coldplay! And as a favor, asks Chris Martin to look up "Josh Clayton" and call about the "Clocks Lawsuit" (see previous post entitled "Clocks").

In any case, I will try and piece together what I remember of our conversation earlier today.
Me=me.
C=Chris Martin.

I will assume the style of Thucydides, the ancient Greek historian, in that what I will write is as though it is a transcript of the daialogue, though I am sure many details will be omitted because of my quite fallible memory:

I pull on the side of the road and hop off my bike because my cellphone rings.
(To imaine this conversation, imagine me saying everything in a slightly sarcastic, laughing tone and Chris remaining dignified and untouchable the whole time.)
ME: Hello?
C: Yes, may I speak to Josh Clayton?
ME: This is Josh. Let me guess. This is Chris Martin from Coldplay?
C: Yes, this is Chris Martin from the band Coldplay. I was calling about settling the Clocks lawsuit.
ME: This is great. What I want to know is how did you find my blog?
C: I'm sorry, I can't say.
ME: Well, look, I guess you know that the whole thing with the lawsuit was a joke. It was just a joke.
C: Oh, was it? Well, uh, we don't joke about that sort of thing.
ME: Oh we don't? I do! (haha)
C: No we don't. So, Josh, do you have our first CD?
ME: Oh! Uh, no, actually I don't. I barely know a thing about Coldplay..I was recently listening to Launch music on Yahoo--I don't know how big that is in the UK, it's huge over here--and Clocks came on and I loved the piano, so I hit the "cannot get enough" thing and all that. I love that stuff. So let me ask you, how am I supposed to know this is really Chris Martin? (Pause) Oh, ok, so the implication is that I'm supposed to buy your live CD so I'll know your voice?
C: Yes, that's pretty much it.
ME: This is great. So let me ask you, who gave you my number?
C: Um, I cannot tell you that. All I can tell you is that a friend asked me to make this call.
ME: That friend wouldn't happen to live in Colorado, would he?
C: I'm sorry, I really can't say. All I can say is a friend put me up to it.
ME: You wouldn't happen to be--let's see--Dave2 or somebody would you?
C: I'm sorry, I've told you all I can.
ME: (haha) Well i was actually in class when you called--I go to college in Louisiana, it's in the southern U.S.--and I didn't want to pick up in front of the professor. So what part of the U.K. are you in?
C: (......)
ME: I'm sorry could you repeat that?
C: (.....)
ME: Cool. How's the weather? Just making conversation.
C: Actually it's a bit rainy out today, lots of clouds and dark all over.
ME: Wow! Same here! You can probably hear the cars. I stopped my bike to talk to you here.

At this point, we gradually ended the conversation. He had to hang up on me, because I tried to get him to stay. He did chuckled toward the end.and he talked a bit more than what I can remember....it's just he was so cool and low-key that I can't remember what he said.

And he ended by saying "oh and make fair trade." I corrected him, "make trade fair". He chuckled.

Twas strange. Was it Chris or was it not? You be the judge. I truly don't have his live CD...I don't know what his regular voice would sound like.

44f ;