5b4

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

To the Sandbar!

Spring Break. Laguna Beach, Panama City, Florida, USA. Saturday through Tuesday. 8 people from LSU Chi Alpha. Good times.

Special thanks to several people. Mr. Robert Hoch for for keeping me constantly doubled over from laughter. Mr. James Dill for inspiring me and providing an enlightening midnight talk/walk on the beach. Mr. Zach Mitchell for busting his butt to make sure we all had a good time. Casey, 'Recka, Kaylee, Lionel, you're great friends, too, so I'll catch you with individual comments later. Rain check on that.

The majority of our time, needless to say, was spent tearing up the beach...or being torn up by it. The ultimate attraction for a couple of us was definitely the water. The ocean...the freezing cold ocean. I've never attempted to swim at the beach at this time of year. My first thought getting into that water was, "It would suck to get frostbite at spring break." (Just kidding, that was extreme. I did think it, though.)

The zenith of excitement was today. It was a red-flag day. For those of you who don't know what that means...it is the highest level (below crazy wacked-out storm status) of wind/waves. It is the "SWIM AT YOUR OWN RISK" kind of sea-condition. Today, we were the only people on the beach that ventured out past the shoreline. The waves were wicked crazy psychotic. AND FUN. The kind that topple you over and you can bodysurf with and that make you yell from ecstasy. Crazy Robert, Casey and I actually swam against the waves to a sandbar a little further out. Once we got to that sandbar the waves were just...aw man. Crazy. And that water was COLD!

Getting buried in sand was also fun, then they made some huge biceps out of sand, projecting from my side. I can't wait to see the pictures from the trip.

Also we saw several movies while we were relaxing at night. I must recommend "Man on Fire," with Denzel Washington. Definitely one of the best movies I've seen this year. Very intense, let me warn you. It's rough, but if you can handle it, it's quite a smash-up.

Oh, and walks on the beach with the surf rushing over your toes and the landscape bathed in moonlight is inspiring.

44f ;