5b4

Sunday, May 23, 2004

Pomp and Circumstance

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!

I'm done with high school! But graduation was so fun, I already miss high school!

Friday was a busy day with preparations and a nice dinner, a few toasts, and finally off to Pearl River High School to assemble for a photo...then line up for the processional.

To the tune of "Pomp and Circumstance" played by the band we marched out onto the football field, as our relatives screamed support from the stands. Shaking a little in my shoes, I took my seat on the stage and took in the view. I concentratedly tried to remain calm and confident waiting for my turn to approach the microphone.

After Aimee White's beautifully thought-provocative speech, I hear Erin Ballantyne, our class President, say something like, "We will now hear from our valedictorian, Joshua Clayton, son of Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin Clayton...". ***GULP*** **heart rate speeds up**

**steps up to mic, adjusts it to accomodate height**...

"Good evening, Class of 2004. Don't you love rollercoasters? I know I do. The most exciting rollercoaster ride any of us will ever have taken is surely the first; one can never know quite what to expect. We can never tell what our reaction will be to that first ride. We can only stand in line waiting for the beginning of what will either have us wild with fear or saturated with ecstasy. All of us experienced that same feeling of uncertainty four years ago when we ventured onto the campus of this school as freshmen. Look at us now. We are now four years stronger, surer, and, hopefully, a little bit smarter. I believe I speak for us all in thanking our families, friends, and faculty for their indispensable support. Through love, sweat, tears, hugs, encouragement, and perseverance, you, our loved ones and teachers, have comforted us during the ride. When the coaster took us upside down, you held us tighter. When we asked, “Is it over yet?”, your assuring presence gave us the energy to press on another day in the classroom, in the sports arena, in our pursuits, and on our jobs. We thank you for your essential care and guidance.
While we’ve finally finished the high school rollercoaster and are all boasting about how well we handled this, our first ride, there are some other coasters in the park left to ride, my friends. This fact leads me to ask us a question. Is tonight the end or the beginning? When, in a few short moments, we receive the most important certificate of our lifetime, do we “have it made”? Our class motto tells us to not settle for only what we can live with. Graduates, I implore you to think about what we have learned together and what we, going our separate ways, must now do to thrive in a new life.
Before we leave PRHS behind, though, I would like to say a few more things about rollercoasters. One place I recently enjoyed visiting is a recreational facility that opened in the same year we were mere freshman. This place is Six Flags New Orleans, which used to be Jazzland. While there, I noticed that life is like a rollercoaster; you have several different choices you can make. First of all, you can go to the “kiddy” section and pretend to take care of a younger brother or sister. The problem is that while you take no risk, you also are rewarded with little thrill or satisfaction that you have conquered fear. If you’re a tad bolder, you can ride the Mega Zeph, which moves very quickly but is predictable as you see each turn approaching. If you really want to prove you are daring, ride the Batman, where you are subject to twisting and turning in any direction at a second’s notice. Just like the Batman coaster, life is most rewarding when you are willing to push beyond your comfort zone, confident of your identity. When you ride the Batman, you are confident in the strength of the structure; in life, you must be confident in your identity.
Speaking of identity, I have a closing story. I did not mention that when I was at this theme park recently, I lost my class ring on one of the coasters. There’s no denying the frustration I encountered. I was, however, forced to consider the meaning of that ring. Was I the same person, a successful, graduating senior, without that ring, as I had been with the ring? Yes, I was, and I am. Perhaps, you have had a certain reputation during high school, which you may have liked or disliked. Remember the Biblical proverb, “He that is despised and hath a servant is better than he that honoreth himself and lacketh bread.” Know this:
when you look back on your life, it will not be the opinions of anyone else that will have formed who you are and the mark you have left. The future is determined by your willingness to try.
Tonight, you may have in mind a new rollercoaster you feel ready to try out. You’re tired of being branded by people with a stereotypical label. All you need to do to overcome these limitations placed on you is to try. Just take the first step onto the ride; do not limit yourself from a dream you have because of what someone else thinks you can or cannot do. Remember Shakespeare’s words: “Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths. The valiant never taste of death but once.” Let us treasure this evening and savor the triumph, but when it is done, Class of 2004, please don’t just go round and round on the carousel. Be ambitious and become the generation to bring about edifying changes in our society. Will you choose the “kiddy” ride or the Batman rollercoaster?"

Okay, now I could breathe and just take in the rest of the ceremony. Toss my hat at the end, all that.

Project Graduation afterward. All night lock in with multiple games. I played games to get "money" to put chances in for several prizes, i.e. refrigerator, T.V., etc.

I put all my chances in either the fridge or digi. camera drawing...didn't win anything but had lots of fun.

A few highlights of the lock-in:

1. Being on the winning team for Tricycle Race
2. Being one of 3 winners for the limbo
3. Finally beating someone at boxing and the chute race
4. Busting my behind jumping on this air mattress everyone was sitting on...yes, I successfully surprised everyone, but ended up sinking through to the floor, seriously injuring my tailbone and pride

It was great fun, though. Is it only girls who are supposed to cry...? I didn't [cry], no one did, we were all like wasted and tired. So then I slept Saturday away, and here I am now...

...several graduation presents later...

...but this stuff is so temporary. What a letdown. Oh well. Now I've got LSU to look forward to.


44f ;