5b4

Friday, June 25, 2004

Another Day, Another Dollar

I am beginning to learn the meaning of that expression. Out of high school, with no books to study this summer, if I stay up late it’s just to chat online … no, there aren’t any term papers, no school events to attend, no exciting senior year. It’s just day in and day out of Sav-A-Center and of course 2 days off each week.

Another day, another dollar. Out into the real unsheltered world I’m just going through what every American teenager does at this time of life. It’s the coming of age thing that seems more important than it is…the world of minimum wage labor…although I praise God that I’m making $0.85 since more per hour than the minimum wage rate. :)

The thing is I understand why people in the business world are so grumpy now … it can get monotonous. And frustrating.

Like the time I could have cost the company $5,000.

Whoa, chill out, it’s okay. All that happened (all) was that I sent a Western Union before the woman had paid me, and her debit card wasn’t accepting the charge because lo and behold … banks have a limit you can withdraw from your bank account each day … and this order was for several thousand dollars. Yes, believe it or not, we’re only supposed to accept cash, as if people walk around with thousands of dollars … although one woman did come in and shell out $5,000 on the counter once.

Anyhow, I had to call Western Union and cancel the order since it couldn’t be paid … phew. What an ordeal…but that’s another thing I’m learning about a workday. It’s really more than “just another day, just another dollar.” What matters is that, even if I’ve made mistakes, “Have I learned anything valuable at the day’s end?” If so, if I’ve not just made money, but had a learning experience that will help me later on…I’ve accomplished something.

And another thing … my dad’s observation that the “another day another dollar” thing is a degradation of the American work ethic. That work used to have an inherent value aside from the making of money … just look at American history before the age of TV dinners, AIM, and MP3’s. The American Dream … people just being glad they could work in a non-Communist society where they were free to be employed as they chose. People took pride in their work and didn’t just curse and swear about how awful work is.

It kind of makes you wonder what kind of society we have become? “What have we become? … a self-indulgent people” (DC Talk)

Aside from work, though, other good things are happening. Because there’s more to life than just making money …

Louisiana State University. I thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for the scholarships I have which will only leave me to pay a couple hundred dollars in books. Tuition, room, board, and fees are taken care of . :) I just visited the campus two days ago. I’ve been there many times, but it really is a beautiful campus. Lots of vegetation … and the architecture is really neat. There is a large Mexican-style influence…or maybe just generally Latino influence with red tile roofs and such. I got to see Mike the Tiger, our mascot ( a real live tiger! ). I also have my room assignment … in the honors dorm. It is a bit Spartan, but I’m blessed. Well, you know about college dorms. They’re nothing to do cartwheels about. But it’s nice that for $18 a month I can tap into the Ethernet connection in the room … there are two phone lines, one for me and one for my roommate, Thomas, whom I tried e-mailing to get acquainted, but with no response as of yet. There is a small but appreciated closet, a desk and bookshelf (even!) for both of us. And a bed of course. Just one sink. A hall bathroom … which is in (believe it or not) pretty good condition!! And the good thing about the furniture is it’s not nailed to the floor … it can be rearranged. I’ll have to start thinking of posters, rugs, and stuff to make the place more homey … I already know I’m going to miss home.

My meal plan looks good … I can dine at the cafeteria Monday-Thursday. And I’ve tried the food. It’s very good … great variety, all you can eat!! Then on weekends I can do meal-trade-ins in the Student Union … fast food places like BK and Pizza Hut.

My schedule for the first semester looks good … 15 hours (I tested out of 15 hours credit already…good to have that under my belt). Let’s see:

1. Economics (entry level) 3 hours
2. Western Civ. LECTURE 3 hours
3. Western Civ. SEMINAR (discussion) 3 hours
4. ISDS (computer techonology) 3 hours
5. Business Calculus 3 hours

I don’t feel like looking up the exact course names, but that’s my schedule. Plus, I’m going to have a Student Aide job on campus. I need to call today or tomorrow to get a job assignment. I can work as much or as little as I have time for … which is good. My parents have been wonderfully getting me all kinds of supplies ready … and my wonderful grandparents. What would I do without my dear Grandmother! (seriously!) I won’t be taking my car up first semester…it was a decision my parents made. They want me to get settled in at first … with the new responsibility and everything. They’re probably right. It’s a huge campus and there’s enough there to where first semester I’ll just be getting settled in and probably have everything I need on campus. LSU is a small town with over 30,000 students. I can catch a ride with people to church, the movies, etc. first semester.

Aside from job and college preparations … well that’s been pretty much it!! Nothing else exciting. Just trying to maintain my relationship with Jesus … I need to do a better job. :( Other than that I do get bogged down in the summertime boredom of coming home after work at 10 and just watching a little TV or surfing the web/chatting before I go to bed.

I’ve been hanging out with relatives a lot lately. I know I won’t see them as much starting August 18 (when I move into my dorm room). Also, I am blessed to have all 4 grandparents still alive … I want to be with them as long as I can, since I don’t know how long I’ll be blessed to have them here with me.

Also, here’s some interesting news. I shaved my head yesterday!! Your question, like most people’s is probably “Why?” LOL. Not totally sure!! I just needed a change! When I shaved it was a “3-ought” or something the barber called it…between a “zero” and a “one.” So there was the tiniest bit of stubble visible. I’m amazed how fast my hair grows…already this morning I woke up and it looked a bit longer!

Anyhow, aside from the desire for a new dew, I’ve started running again, so it helps to not have a wet mop on your head when working out.

I’ll admit since cross-country ended last December, I haven’t worked out at all. **blushes** I was sedentary. It was really bad, I didn’t exercise at all. So for a little over a week I’ve been getting my butt back in line. It’s really a shame that when it’s hot outside I only do a little over 2 miles…I used to be able to run 6. But there’s no time like the present to bring it on back again!! Actually this morning I ran just under 3 miles when it was overcast. That’s another thing that’s been going on lately … HEAT!!!

Anyhow, I don’t know how this post got so massive … I guess it proves I did not add a new blog post as soon as I should have. But I most go shower now and get ready for my day … errands to run, floor to mop, Bible to read, work in only 4 hours, 6 hours of that, then I’ll get home, eat, do dishes, and get online. (Actually I’m typing this journal entry in MS Word and I’ll be adding this to my blog tonight!)

Hmm…this is what I want to hear on Yahoo LaunchCast when I get home:
TobyMac’s “What’s Goin’ Down”
Hangnail’s “I Aspire”
Seven Places’ “Landslide”
Something by DC Talk
Something by Delirious
Something by Kutless

You never know.
Have a blessed day.
-Josh

44f ;